Wednesday 12 November 2014

In Conversation With Suzanne Palmieri

Today I am in conversation with Suzanne Palmieri, author of among other books The Witch of Little Italy (my review of which is here) and The Witch of Belladonna Bay.
                                   
                               
               
The Witch of Little Italy and The Witch of Belladonna Bay focus on magic - is there a lost witch in us all?
I truly think there is. But maybe not lost... wandering? I think, as we grow, we absorb so much of the chaos and the invisibility the world hands out, and take it on as our own truth. So, in that case, we are all somewhat lost inside ourselves. Magic is what happens when we let go and accept the fact that there is this amazing world all around us. Magic is everywhere.
 
 
You previously wrote novels under the name Suzanne Hayes - what prompted the change of direction to what you currently write, or do you think that there is still a link to your previous work?
Actually, I wrote the novels at the same time! The Palmieri books and the Hayes books published side by side in 2013 and 2014. I've always felt that my characters take the same sort of journey from lost to found in books by both names. The only real difference is that the Palmieri novels have "magic" in them and the "Hayes" books don't. Unless, of course, you think history and romance and family are magical (I do!) in which case there really is no difference! My witch books are under contract at Saint Martin's press and so there will be a book out each year. My Hayes novels will come out less frequently but I'm still writing those too. Always writing.
 
Any advice to anyone dreaming of becoming an author?
YES! Write for you. Write for the joy of it... the sheer fun of it. Then, when you have something you can't stand to let sit on your computer, you send it into the world fearlessly. Be patient, professional, persistent, and there is no end to what you can accomplish in this industry.
 
Where do you get your writing inspiration from?
Every. single. Moment. Of the day. People, places, car rides. Conversations, arguments, a late blooming rose. Everything.
 
 
What are you working on next?
The Witch of Bourbon Street will be on shelves in late May 2015. And the following year another "witch" book (currently titled Untitled Number 4) will be released. Right now I'm working on a Suzanne Hayes project about New England, Orchards, history, and a lovely woman named Marie St. John. It's completely consumed me!
 
If, heaven forbid, there was a fire, what possession would you grab first to save?
The wool blanket my mother gave me. Ugly and old.... it is my very favorite thing. I don't attach myself to possessions much. When you spend time having no real possessions, you learn how to let go of many, many things.
 
What five people, living or dead, would you choose to invite to a dinner party?
Abigail Adams, Sophia Loren, Jimmy Carter, Paul Newman and my grandmother Suzanne Hayes Cooper. (I never met her, she died young, but I'd love a hug)
 
Suzanne Palmieir is the author of The Witch of Belladonna Bay (out May 13th 2014) and The Witch of Little Italy and also the co-author of The Empire Girls (out May 27th 2014) and I'll be Seeing You (writing as Suzanne Hayes).   You can find out more about Suzanne by going to her website right here.

"I'm a Lost Witch. Are you a Lost Witch Too?"

 
Happy Reading
 
Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!