Monday 14 July 2014

Moth and Spark

Moth and Spark by Anne Leonard
Published by Headline
3rd July 2014
Paperback edition

 

A Tale of Magic, Adventure and True Love.

In the country of Caithen, Prince Corin is tasked with freeing the dragons from their bondage to the Emperor. To help him in his quest, the terrifying beasts have allowed Corin a little of their power.

But the history of the dragons' slavery is shrouded in mystery and no one can assist in his quest to free them ... until the arrival of Tam at court - a sensible doctor's daughter, who discovers a remarkable talent. She is a seer, gifted with visions.
 
Sparks fly when Corin and Tam meet ... but it's not all happily ever after. Not only is the prince forbidden to marry a commoner, but war is coming to Caithen. Torn between love and duty, Corin and Tam must work together to master their newfound powers and unleash the dragons at last.

 
This was a bit of a risky read for me, as I find that sometimes fantasy fiction either works for me and I enjoy it, or it leaves me with an unfinished book.  Thankfully, especially for the purpose of reviewing, I really enjoyed Moth and Spark.

Set in the mythical country of Caithen, trouble is brewing in the form of their neighbours, the Sarians.  Prince Corin is the only man who can save his country from war, and he needs to entrust the help of the dragons in order to do this.  But first, he has to allow the dragons to trust him, but one wrong move could mean risking his life.

Tam is a doctor's daughter who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and gets drawn into a deeper battle than she could ever have imagined.  The paths of commoner and royal should never cross, but the fates are shining on Corin and Tam and they fall in love.  Can they save both the realm and their relationship or will one have to be sacrificed?
 
It took me a while to get into the story but I think that is because I've been so tired lately that I've only managed to read a few pages at a time when actually if I had managed a couple of chapters at once, it would have swung into place much more quickly.  The fantasy side of the story wasn't so over the top that you had to suspend all disbelief and I enjoyed the relationship side of the story between all of the various characters.  As well as being an enjoyable book, I think Moth and Spark would make a tremendous film, and I hope that it gets to make it onto the silver screen.

 
Happy Reading

 
Miss Chapter x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I review!